DO YOU GARDEN? I am researching a book called "My Very First Garden" (about edible gardening... fruits, vegetables, herbs, etc.) and need your true stories! Do you have a good (or even bad!) memory about the first garden you ever did? Was it inside in pots, outside when you were a kid, or in a community garden? Did you harvest anything or did the rabbits get it all? Please submit your short but true story to vikkibooks at yahoo dot com by April 27 2010. Your submission implies your consent to use your story and the possibility of (minor) editing. Thanks!

7/17: To Rain or Not ...

There's no question about it ... it rained for about 15 minutes and then abruptly the sun came out and the rain dried up. Still, I'm not going out to water the garden this evening. Here's hoping we got enough during that 15 minutes. Did a light watering of the corn and lettuce this morning. I believe we overplanted the lettuce. I placed an ad on Craigslist to see if we can get rid of some. I'm pretty sure my digestive system can't handle such ruffage 7 days a week!

And I checked on the eggplant where the little 1/2 inch fruit is now about 2 inches round. It looks like more are forming on both of the eggplants. And the okra plant (we have only one) has several of fruits forming on it! But the best news is that I picked our first string beans today. I can't remember what kind. It's a bush kind so I thought it was a Jacob's Cattle but the color of the beans inside aren't mottled. Perhaps it's because the pods were still somewhat small? Is it possible it's the soy?


We're still working diligently on preparing the sites for "Backyard Grocery" and "Kid Whispers" ready for debut. Would be easier to accomplish if it wasn't so hot, so I could think!! Vikki

0 comments:

Copyright (c) 2008-2010 VP Lawrence-Williams and Doug Williams - Please respect our art, words and images. You must gain permission to use any images, words or photos on this site. Contact us first. We will determine a usage fee if appropriate. Thank you.