DO YOU GARDEN? I am researching a book called "My Very First Garden" (about edible gardening... fruits, vegetables, herbs, etc.) and need your true stories! Do you have a good (or even bad!) memory about the first garden you ever did? Was it inside in pots, outside when you were a kid, or in a community garden? Did you harvest anything or did the rabbits get it all? Please submit your short but true story to vikkibooks at yahoo dot com by April 27 2010. Your submission implies your consent to use your story and the possibility of (minor) editing. Thanks!

Kentucky Grilled - ha! - Chicken

I grew up in Louisville, Kentucky, and often went to the Colonel's Lady (Claudia Sanders) restaurant over in Shelbyville, KY. I love their biscuits, their homecooked serving-tray lunches, and the only cooked spinach I will ever eat is served as creamed spinach there at that restaurant. My family would get KY-Fried once every couple of months when I was going out, and it was always a real treat.

So... I was elated when Kentucky Fried Chicken came out with grilled chicken this past Monday. My Tween son has a huge adverse reaction to wheat so we like finding grilled chicken we can get as fast food. Tween got so excited, now that he could have KY-Fried/Grilled! So, because he was being so very wonderful today, did all of his schoolwork in a timely manner, and helped with chores, I said we could go for a late lunch. We left around 2 p.m. and stopped in at the Northglenn (CO - on Washington) where we used to go about once every 2 months or so.

Up to the counter I strode. "Excuse me", I said to Angie the counter girl, "could you please tell me if your new grilled chicken has wheat in it?"

"No." She turned away.

"Uh, excuse me, but I need to know for the health of my son here."

"No. How should I know?"

Needless to say, this ninny was being a complete jerk. I said a bit more strongly, "My son would like the grilled chicken but I need to know if it has wheat in it ... first!"

"Go get a pamphlet." She pointed in the general direction (towards the back of the store!), turned away again and pretended to clean a counter.

I was pretty ticked by this time, but went to the back and picked up the pamphlet, where, to my complete non-surprise, gave no ingredient information, just calories, protein, etc. I went back to the counter. "Excuse me", I said in a very syrupy almost-had-enough voice, "it doesn't give any ingredient information. Would you please look?"

She looked straight at me. "No."

Okay, I needed to cool down, so we left, went to the post office and came back. I requested Tween to stay in the car this time, and marched back into the KFC, where that little ninny rolled her eyes when she saw me coming. I said, "I've been thinking, and your response is completely unacceptable. I want to talk with a manager." "Who?" "Any manager."

She turned, giggling almost, and in a sing-song voice, called "Sa-ra!" Sara, a manager, came over, listened to my calm rant, apologized for the Angie twit (my words, not hers) and went in the back to get a box that had the ingredients listed on a label. Wheat was on there. Lots of it. I thank her, she apologized for Angie again, and we left.

That's all I wanted.... information.

What is wrong with people? That girl Angie should have apologized, not the manager. Doesn't anybody care about manners or customer service any more?

p.s. Wouldn't you think that a grilled chicken patty would be gluten-free? No wheat? Hmmm...

0 comments:

Copyright (c) 2008-2010 VP Lawrence-Williams and Doug Williams - Please respect our art, words and images. You must gain permission to use any images, words or photos on this site. Contact us first. We will determine a usage fee if appropriate. Thank you.